24.12.09

tic toc, make your own clock

So I made most of my Christmas gifts this year to save money. For my brother, I decided to make a clock. He has loved the Washington Capitals since he was three and had his picture in the Washington Post a few times because of the cute faces he would make during games. I decided to paint a clock with the new team colors and logo.

I went to Michael's and bought the clock face. They didn't have the clock hands I needed so I ended up going to a clock store to get them - more expensive but definitely better quality. First, I painted two coats of red paint on the clock face.

Then, I printed out the logos I wanted to paint on the clock off of the internet. I then traced them using tracing paper. (I am neither a drawer or a painter so this was the best way to go).

Then I transferred the image onto the clock using graphite paper.

When I was finished transferring, I painted in the colors according to the logos I printed out. You definitely need to make sure you have smaller brushes, though. It didn't turn out as great as I wanted because it was hard to paint in some of the smaller spaces and it was nearly impossible to paint words. I think if I did it again I would just leave the smaller words out.

After the paint was completely dry, I applied matte Modge Podge to the entire clock.

After the Modge Podge dried, I attached the numbers (you can find adhesive numbers at Micheal's in the clock section). I decided just to put the four numbers for fear I wouldn't be able to make all the numbers evenly spaced. Then, I put in the clock mechanics they gave me at the clock store.

And there you have it - a Washington Capitals clock. I don't think my brother reads my blog so I figured I could safely put up this tutorial before he opens his present. Have a good Christmas Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.