6.12.09

Mediterranean Tuna Sandwich

I really like tuna salad sandwiches. A lot. But with all of that mayo, they become very unhealthy. I have been playing around with ways to make tuna salad without mayo and this sandwich is the best one I have come up with so far.


MEDITERRANEAN TUNA SANDWICH

makes about 3 - 4 sandwiches

12 oz can white albacore tuna
2 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
3 teaspoons red onion, diced
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
freshly ground salt & pepper
2 slices of fresh bread (I used sourdough)
1 1/2 Tablespoons roasted red peppers, finely diced until it is almost a paste
Dijion mustard
mixed greens

1.  Put drained tuna, parsley, onion in a bowl and mix. Mix in olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper.
2. On on slice of bread, spread on some Dijion mustard. Top with the tuna mixture and some mixed greens. On the other slice of bread, spread on the diced red peppers. Place as top piece of bread.

Variations
* I used sweet red peppers but next time I might try fire roasted for some spice.
* I am not a huge fan of olives but if you are, mix them in with the parsley and onion.
* Next time I may try topping it with artichokes along with the peppers.

I was so surprised by how great the parsley was in the tuna salad. It gave it such a freshness.  I don't think I will ever go back to putting mayo in my tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.