8.11.09

Specific Gravity: Pizzeria & Bottle Shop

On Saturday, we had some friends in town so we thought it would be a good night to try out the new pizza place in Salisbury, Specific Gravity. It is located on East College Avenue right behind SoBo's and next to Viva Espresso. We were hungry early so we went around 5 pm.

When you walk in, you encounter long bar tables with bar stools along with a small bar in the corner. Basically, unless you have a huge group of people, you are sharing a table with strangers but this really doesn't seem like it would be a problem unless the place is very crowded.  The only thing that bothered me was, when we got to the resto, there was a couple sitting next to each other so they could see the one tv since the game was on.  So instead of taking up two seats, they were essentially taking up four, which wouldn't have been a problem, except for when it started to get crowded there was a struggle for groups to find seats.  I really feel like the resto needs to add at least one more long table. Or perhaps another tv?

On the left side there is an empty area that will soon be a bottle shop.  I am pretty exited to see how it turns.

Now onto food and beverage.  (Just a side note: I drink beer but I prefer wine.  I LOVE pizza.  I like wings but I am not always in the mood.)  The restaurant has a big chalkboard on the wall displaying their beers.  It is always changing but they always have a selection of Evolution beers, which comes from a local brewery in Delmar, Delaware.  They have the bitterness next to each beer which is helpful for a girl like me who cannot really handle a very bitter beer. We decided to all share a pitcher ($15) of Evolution's Primal Pale Ale to start.  I like this but, again, I am not a beer drinker so that is really all I can say about it.  We had another beer after that, which was too bitter for me.  The name escapes me.

Boyfriend and his friend, Devin, got Buffalo wings to start.  They seemed to enjoy them.  You can choose what type of preparation you want (Jerk, Whitehaven, Buffalo, Chipotle Honey BBQ, Key Largo) and what type of sauce (Honey Cilantro Mustard, Bleu Cheese, Ranch, Chipotle Honey BBQ).  The chalkboard has a off-the-menu wing as well - Saturday's was Garlic and Herb.  One pound of wings are $8.50 and two pounds are $15.

Devin's fiancĂ©, Chrissy, and I got salads to start.  You can get a single for $4 or a share for $7. Chrissy got a Caprese salad with tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil and a balsamic reduction.  It was beautifully stacked with huge pieces of mozzarella and tomatoes.  Chrissy seemed to really enjoy it.  I got a Greek salad (no olives) with lettuce, tomato, artichoke heart, red onion, feta, fresh herbs (which I did not see) and balsamic.  They also adding pieces of fresh bread which really put me over the edge - anything with fresh bread automatically is better in my book.  I think they could have used better lettuce though.  My salad was not as beautifully presented as Chrissy's but it tasted pretty good and was still pretty large for a single.

The pizzas come in either a personal pizza with four pieces or a larger pizza with six.  The pizzas range in price from $4.50 to $15 depending on the size and type of pizza.  We all got personal pizzas.  The guys each got a Cheeseburger pizza topped with ground beef, green peppers, onions, fries and a thick crust.  They both said that it was decent but could use more ground beef and less cheese.  Chrissy got a Bruschetta Pomodoro pizza with diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh mozzarella and basil.  She said that it had way too much cheese and could have used more toppings.  I got the Mushroom and Onion pizza.  I think the sautĂ©ed onions made the pizza too greasy, especially with the exorbitant amount of cheese.

I will probably go back in a couple months once they have been open for awhile.  Since I am not a beer girl, I am hoping the pizzas get better.  Note to the chef: Less cheese is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.