18.11.09

Death by Chocolate

For many years, this dessert was made for me for my birthdays since it was one of my FAVORITE desserts. I love to cook but I am not much of a baker.  No worries here though - this recipe is so easy.  I made this for a work party today and everyone loved it.




Look yummy?  Well, why don't you make it for yourself? And don't wait for your birthday!

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE

1 box of chocolate cake mix (brownies can be substituted)
3 packets of instant chocolate mousse (I like dark or double chocolate)
12 - 16 oz of frozen Cool Whip
8 Heath OR Skor bars (any English toffee bars)
1/2 - 1 cup of Kahlua OR other coffee flavored liqueur

1. Prepare chocolate cake mix according directions on the box.  After baking, let cake cool completely.  Using a fork, poke holes in cake and pour 1/2 to 1 cup of Kahlua over it according to taste. Let soak for 30 minutes.

2. Prepare instant mousse according directions on package.

3. Bang toffee bars with a mallet while still in the wrappers.

4. Take half of cake and crumbled bigger crumbs into bottom of a glass trifle dish.  Spread half of mousse over crumbled cake.  Sprinkle about 3 toffee bars and about 3/4 of another bar over mousse.  Spread half of cool whip over toffee bars.

5. Repeat step 4 again so there are two layers of each ingredient.  

6. If you used about 3 and 3/4 bar for each toffee bar layer you will notice that you have about 1/2 of a toffee bar left.  I usually sprinkle this on top of the last layer of cool whip to show what is "inside" the dessert.

* This was actually the first time I had used a brownie mix over a cake mix.  I normally get the chocolate cake mix with pudding in mix.  Since I had brownie mix on hand I figured why not? I decided to follow the directions on the box for cake-like brownies.  I think next time I will use the directions for fudge brownies because the cake-like brownies were a little dry.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.