3.11.09

a breakfast favorite: french toast casserole

So the other day a friend asked me if I had any breakfast recipes that you can make the day before.  There are two recipes I use when I have a group sleeping over but I don't want to wake up super early and slave away to make breakfast. Baked Apple French Toast is one of these recipes.

My mom actually got this recipe from a Weight Watchers cookbook and started making it some time in the 90s.  Eventually it became my job to make it.  My mom lost the cookbook but I found the recipe online about two years ago.

It is nice because you can make it the morning of, but I think it is better if it sits overnight. (I have even made it the afternoon before.)  I actually add a little more butter on top towards the end of baking.  I guess that makes it a little less "Weight Watchers" but who cares anyways?

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Baked Apple French Toast

2 apples, peeled and diced (I normally use some type of green apple)
4 slices of bread, cubed (I know that the old recipe called for wheat or multigrain and I think it gives it more flavor that way)
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar, divided
2 teaspoons of cinnamon, divided
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 Tablespoon of butter
3 Tablespoons of flour (I think the recipe calls for a little much so don't be heavy handed)

1.  Mix eggs, milk, 1 t. cinnamon, 1 T. brown sugar together. Add apples and bread to mixture.
2.  In a different bowl, mix together 1 t. cinnamon, 2 T. brown sugar and flour.  Cut in butter.
3.  If making the night before, store in two different bowls and combine the next day.  If eating immediately put wet mixture in bread pan and sprinkle with butter mixture.
4. Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes.  (I don't like mine to make soggy, so sometimes I bake a little longer.)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any
    web browser compatibility problems? A couple of my blog readers
    have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?
    Here is my blog - binary options trading signals

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.